Re: Metal recycling in the news

I saw the piece.  I agree, they didn't seem to have a point except to give NIRS an opportunity to provide a free "public service" announcement.  I couldn't resist.  I had to vent my frustration.  Sent the following to ABC.
---------
Congratulations, your story "Recycling Danger?" is keeping the streak of slanted reporting by "news" agencies alive.  ABC news (and all the rest, as far as I can see) should correctly be labeled an "Anti-nuclear activist group", since that is the entire extent of what you report. The only difference between the news-writing companies and groups like Nuclear Information and Resource Service is your agenda (in your case, it's obviously profit).  No doubt, fear is one of the best ways to sell "news".  If that story represents what you believe to be "balanced" reporting, then you all need to go back to Journalism 101.  Once again, the spin-master anti-nukes (NIRS), have managed to secure free air time to push their agenda with masterful sound bites (assisted by ABC's video clips), with the only "rebuttal" being a snippet of an out-of-context statement by a DOE rep who's only going to say "this is perfectly safe", presented such that our only reaction can be "he's a lying S.O.B. government patsy".  When are you guys going to give up?  You've won, hands down - nuclear power is dead, the DOE will probably be dismantled, and we're all going to die choking on the soot from coal and oil burning power plants.  Hope you're happy!

--------
In my haste I forgot to add that the taxpayers will be left holding the bag for the cost of all the paranoia.

My opinions only.
Keith Welch
  ************************************************************************ The RADSAFE Frequently Asked Questions list, archives and subscription information can be accessed at http://www.ehs.uiuc.edu/~rad/radsafe.html