Re: Rad Safety Training - HazMat Team

At 12:25 PM 8/20/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm updating rad safety training to be provided to our HazMat and security
>staff, and am looking for
>new material.   These guys love anecdotes and stories, which I've used in
>the past to get points
>across.  Do any radsafers have some good rad-related emergency response
>stories they
>can share, or other materials/data that they've found effective?  I'll even
>take semi-true or
>slight exaggerations.
>
>Thx in advance.
>
>Joe Greco
>jgreco@kodak.com

*	As my county's volunteer RADEF officer, I was called out in the
early morning hours a couple of  years ago.  Some guy had stolen a
isotope transport van somewhere in Oak Ridge.  The perp made it down
I-75 to our area before he ran into our local Deputy Doorights.
Despite the van being prominently labeled and the ORPD relaying what
the van was for, our locals:

1) Pulled a Dukes-of-Hazard move, forcing the van off the
interstate, through a catch fence and into a subdivision.

2) Opened the large transport cask to "search for contraband".

Then they called me after someone managed to notice the magenta
propeller on the side of the thing.  Fortunately for them (I
suppose) the cask was empty.

*	The State of Tennessee telling us that we were supposed to respond
to such incidents using CDV-700 fallout shelter instruments.
Fortunately I had my own survey meter.

*	At the Browns Ferry NP after the fire in '75, we found temporary
workers asleep, sitting astride  pipes with labeled  hotspots
between their legs.  They claimed someone had told them that if they
sat there long enough, they'd not have any more kids.

John

--
John De Armond
johngdSPAMNOT@bellsouth.net