Re: CHP study materials

While Shapiro's book is excellent, it's keyed to physicians and other mathematical illiterates, e.g., it has no calculus.  I'd have to choose Herman Cember, "Introduction to Health Physics," 3rd edition.  I've used all 3 editions. (1st edition for my introductory course in grad school, 2nd edition to prepare for the ABHP exam, and 3rd edition as a reference and to help others prepare.)  In my opinion, this has the breadth and depth you need, and is the best single book to use.

Having said that, it's obvious that you should not rely on a single book.  Other references you should use include:

Glenn Knoll, "Radiation Detection and Measurement"

ICRP 60 and 61

current NCRP reports

10 CFR 20

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

Agnes Barlow wrote:

Jacob Shapiro's "Radiation Protection : A Guide for Scientists and
Physicians" would be my recommendation.

Aggie
Agnes.Barlow@Yale.edu
standard disclaimer