Re: Cost of Radiation Exposure

At 07:46 PM 8/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>	In the 1970s, NRC adopted $1000 per person-rem. This was widely used in
>determining what equipment should be required in nuclear plants to
>reduce radioactivity releases. As far as I know, this figure hasn't been
>withdrawn or updated, but I haven't heard about it for several years.
>(NRC means Nuclear Regulatory Commission)

a) I am sorry if I am wrong, but I believe that in 1975, the AEC was divided
into the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and the Energy Research and
Development Administration (ERDA).

b) The first International interpretation of ALARA was made by ICRP
Publication 22, 1973 and the differential cost benefit published by ICRP 37,
"Cost-Benefit Analysis in the Optimization of Radiation Protection", 1973

J. J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
Israel