Another Paducah article

This weeks US News and World Report (Aug. 30) has an article on the Pacucah
situation.  Did not see a version of it on their website.  Article claims
that off-site contamination has been discovered by health physics workers,
and that supervisors told the HPs to stop the investigation, late-night
stack releases (as recently as last fall), and off-site radionuclide
(including plutonium) in soil contamination.  It does not provide numbers
(its only a 2 page article in a newsweekly), but certainly raises concern
about releases from the plant, both authorized and not.

By the way, at least two of the people suing over this are HPs (Ronald
Fowler and Charles Deuschle).  My interest in this site stems from the fact
that we (ORNL/GJ) conducted field work there (groundwater investigations
delineating TCE plumes) for some years and were never told or led to
believe that there was environmental rad contamination there with the
exception of some Tc-99 that was a result of reprossessing.

Phil Egidi
ORNL/GJ
7pe@ornl.gov