"Radon Capsule"

Radsafers,

We are attempting to characterize an old radioactive source that goes by
the name of "Radon Capsule."  It was apparently manufactured and/or
distributed by the Central Scientific Company.  The source appears to be
very old, in that much of the upper half (reddish in color) has physically
deteriorated into small fragments - which are themselves radioactive.  The
lower half (black in color) seems reasonably intact.  There are a number of
what appear to be micro capillary tubes jutting out of the lower half of
the capsule (radon purge mechanism?).  The capsule is about 1" long by a
1/4" wide.

Gamma radiation is definitely present, however, I don't have the
spectroscopy equipment to determine the energy.  My guess is that we're
looking at a multi microcurie source of Ra-226.

Have any of you folks run across a "Radium Capsule?"

Regards,

-Erick Lindstrom

Erick Lindstrom
Radiation Safety Officer
Montana State University
1160 Research Drive
Bozeman,  MT  59718-6856
Voice: (406) 582-5477, 5479, 5485
Fax:    (406) 586-2478 - if number not working use 582-5700
e-mail: avrel@montana.edu

On-Campus Communications:

P.O. Box 170510
Bozeman, MT  59715-0510