Re: RADSAFE: static and alpha whole body monitors?

At our Pu facility PCMs (and others at LANL) we found that we need to keep
the detector screens dusted off (like every couple of days) to minimize Rn
progeny (dare not call them daughters!) buildup and subsequent background
increases.  You'd be able to confirm by seeing detectors 15, 16, 25 (?) -
detectors at hip level - typically most rubbed upon and therefore with most
dust- with the highest backgrounds first.

If ALL your detectors show a high background you may be a victim of bad gas
- removing a single detector, purging it with a different source (lot,
supplier, date, etc) bottle, and putting it back in the PCM may lead you to
the solution.  Bad gas can take quite a while to recover from too.

What are your setpoints and parameters?   We found that some adjustment was
needed when looking primarily for alphas.

Brian Rees
brees@lanl.gov