RE: Subject: Re: Ci to Bq

SGT Jennelle wrote:

"I have been in the Health Physics field for about 7 years.  When I went
through the Army HP course they touched on SI units, but never enforced
them.  Therefore, I am weak in the conversion of these 2 units.  There are
others out there who may be in the same boat as myself.  I have downloaded
this software and plan to use it.  This doesn't mean that I cannot perform
the calculation, it just means that it is the way I prefer to perform it."

I would bet that the majority of U.S. HPs are weak in one or more of the
traditional<=>S.I unit conversions, due to non-use.  Quick, what's the
SI equivalent of 1 mR/hr????  Are you sure?  Did you have to look it up?

Granted, the Ci/Bq conversion is one of the more likely to be learned through
necessity, but obviously this isn't a universal experience.

It is helpful to have the key conversions memorized, however.  The way I
first learned to remember the Ci/Bq conversion was to simply remember the
Ci is 2.22E12 d/m and the Bq is 1 d/s.  Dividing 2.22E12 by 60 s/m gives
the number of d/s (Bq) in a curie:  3.7E10.

John Laferriere
DuPont Pharmaceuticals Co.
Medical Imaging Division
john.r.laferriere@dupontpharma.com

P.S.: Please don't waste bandwidth with announcements that you DIDN'T have
to look it up! :)