Re: DTPA

The use of DTPA and other chelating agents is reviewed in NCRP Report No. 65,
"Management of Persons Accidently Contaminated With Radionuclides."  One
caution I remember is to avoid chelation in cases involving uranium uptake.
Although the chelation is generally effective in preventing bone deposition, it
increases the residence time of the uranium in the kidneys, where chemical
toxicity is the critical concern for uranium uptake.  I ran into this situation
once, when an employee entered a hot cell used for examining mixed oxide fuel,
without respiratory protection.  Since the estimated uptake was low and had the
potential to include uranium, I recommended against chelation.  (I don't have a
license to practice medicine, but the physician, who made the final decision,
was relying on my advice.)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com