RE: Subject: Re: Ci to Bq

I wasn't sure if I wanted to weigh in on this non-technical discussion, but
I couldn't resist.

Having spent way too much time in school, my first inclination is to agree
with the "no stupid questions" philosophy and would encourage people to ask
questions.  However, after a bit of thought, I feel that I must side with
Diane Case and Franz Schoenhofer in this case. Even if the conversion is not
memorized, it is simple enough to either find a reference source or get a
pencil and paper and work it out.

Of course, no one is called upon to memorize all conversion factors - that's
what the Rad Health Handbook and other resources are for. RADSAFE is not a
reference book: it is a public medium of exchange of ideas, questions, and
other information. It is not the ultimate arbiter of all that is health
physics.  The HP gods visit RADSAFE to be sure, but RADSAFE does not exist
to solve all problems from on high.

RADSAFE is not a substitute for mentoring. Mentoring implies a relationship
with an *individual* far beyond the scope of RADSAFE. One may find a mentor
on RADSAFE, but RADSAFE is not the place for an ongoing mentoring
relationship. Mentoring for the most part does not take place in public.
Because RADSAFE is a public medium, any question posted will be seen by many
people, many of whom will not be as sympathetic as RADSAFERS are.  What
impression (about health physics and its practitioners) does it give to
*outsiders* if professional HP's need to stand up in front of their peers
and ask questions that can be answered with very little work?

In summary, try to answer questions yourself first, then try your colleagues
where you are, and finally if nothing else works come to RADSAFE. Don't use
a jackhammer when a chisel will do.

Any opinions presented herein are merely my ramblings. They do not
necessarily represent the views of any other living being, and, if they did,
the living being would (most likely) not admit it.

Jerry Falo, Ph.D., CHP
HMJ Professional Associate
USACHPPM
Medical Health Physics Program