RE: a stupid question - or not

Do not be afraid of those who criticize.  We are all expected to do our
homework with respect to solving our business-related problems, but only a
fool would keep his nose to the grindstone and not learn from the
experiences of others.  Some of us may have even found ourselves in jobs
where we don't have the ideal background.  We are still charged with doing
the right thing, which means assisting one another from time to time.  I
have done a little of everything from construction, mechanics, electronics,
military, and now HP work and I have found that the single most effective
way to grow quickly is to learn from the experiences of others.  Such
discussions of real applications often times makes those old textbook
examples come to life.  Also, sometimes knowing what not to do, may also
lead you to the answer.

In the nuclear power world, there is a constant progression of improvement.
Some may to be secretive believing they will hold an advantage over others,
but anyone who is really successful will tell you that benchmarking and
learning from others is where performance gains are really found.  I admit
that seemingly fundamental questions can in some ways be frustrating like a
parent-child relationship, but greater is he who offers the hand of
assistance rather than the scowl of impatience.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com