From:  Bjorn Cedervall[SMTP:bcradsafers@hotmail.com]
Sent:  Saturday, 4 September 1999 4:23
To:  Multiple recipients of list
Subject:  Russian units

Radsafers,

I ran across a Russian text about radioactivity earlier today (levels
relating to uranium ores in former Soviet Union). Now my "Russian" is not in

its best shape but I found a unit that I would put  mkBk/m2  with western
characters. It is hard to believe that the prefix would mean "millikilo" (Bk

must be Becquerel from the context). How about microBq (a unit that the STAR

people probably would endorse)? OTOH I am more used to reading Tera, Peta
and larger when it is "Soviet Union" (for Mayak and such areas). I was
inspired to ask this when just saw that BASIC program about unit
translations - depending on ones' preferences and preconceived ideas the
politically correct unit would always be easy to extract for mass medial
fallout.

:-)

Bjorn Cedervall
Here representing myself...