Re: Radiation Units

A few years back I was going to convert our facility entirely to SI units,
including paste-on meter faces. Then I stumbled across this paragraph in Title 10
of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 20:

§20.2101 General provisions.

(a) Each licensee shall use the units: curie, rad, rem, including multiples and
subdivisions, and shall clearly indicate the units of all quantities on records
required by this part.

A phone call to our friendly regulator verified that it meant exactly what it
said. We had to use the traditional units. The state regulations have an
identical clause.

I would love to conver to SI but am prohibited by federal and state regulations.

Stephen Frantz
Reed College Reactor
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97202