Re: Radiation Units

>§20.2101 General provisions.
>(a) Each licensee shall use the units: curie, rad, rem, including
>multiples and subdivisions, and shall clearly indicate the units of all
>quantities on records required by this part.

I interpret the lines above as something that is to be followed by all U.S.
states. I suggest: Leave the old units for the lawyers and/or administrators
and but put SI unit scales there as alternative readings on the instruments
or whatever.
I understand that the SI units have been and still are a potential pain to
some people - but believe me - it is not that hard. I had my first 7-8 years
with the radiation sciences with rem, rad, Curie etc and then switched over
to Sv, Bq etc. It took 3-4 months before I was convenient with the Sv & Bq
world - but it was no real problem (it also had the advantage in public
debate since the certain arguments never would come as 0.000001 Curie when
it sounds so much better as 4,000 Bq). While working at several labs in the
U.S. it was all centigrades, grams, liters etc there - and then out of the
building you automatically use the other system (quarter of a mile, gallons
etc - the only thing I can't do quickly is buying foods by the mix of pounds
and ounces - but I use my eye judgement if I am in a hurry).

Just my own ideas that may not necessarily coincide with those of others.
Bjorn Cedervall, bcradsafers@hotmail.com