SI units!

1 Gy = 1 J/kg:
Is it correct that all U.S. scientists immediately know what 1 rad is in
calories per ounce or pound? I doubt it.

How come that most U.S. radiation researchers I met use SI units? Are these
people not representative for the group "radiation professionals"? I can
understand some of the economic arguments (the car industry probably likes
cubic inches) but why not take it successively - iron out the worst stuff
first (I had to find a connecting plug with a 37/64 inch measurment once!
First we measured it in millimeter fractions (this was in the U.S.) with
some instrument - then translated it. A prime divided by 2E6.). The public
and the media is probably no problem because they always need a new
reference number (whatever the unit is) whenever there is a radiation story
- and then they forget the units "in between" - and the radiation folks get
repetition all the time...

Say that the half a gallon of soft drinks would be sold as 2 liter packages
instead of the approx. 1.85 liters. Most people wouldn't care and they would
soon get the idea about "one liter". There would of course be costs in the
production of new packages etc but in the longer run the course would be
towards an easier system. I know that the U.S. units are not impossible - I
have used many of them a lot but they are not very convenient (I am still
uncertain about the number of ounces to the pound - probably 16 - and if the
ounce is about 28 grams or 31 grams. (1 kg = 1000 g)).

I don't think that all this is something to fight about (as some previous
debaters indicated) - but more to try to meet in a successive way - if some
of the most awkward units/fractions were removed soon - the rest would go
much easier. Take the ounces or gallons alone! Not only are they far from SI
units - there are also several different kinds - a perfect situation for
causing confusion. Try comparison of energy consumption in various countries
- for Canada, U.S., and Europe as an excercise - cubic feet (number of cubic
inches to the cubic foot?), BTU, etc, etc!. It was much worse in the slide
rule days but that situation is history with todays power and precision in
calculations.

Just my own ideas...  Bjorn Cedervall,  bcradsafers@hotmail.com