Re: SI units!

Bjorn Cedervall wrote:

> 1 Gy = 1 J/kg:
> Is it correct that all U.S. scientists immediately know what 1 rad is in
> calories per ounce or pound? I doubt it.

Bjorn, IMO - researchers make up less than one percent of
the users of radiation units in the US.  They truly are not
representative of the "Radiation Protection" professionals
that have to use and report dose and contamination
measurements everyday.  The "Radiation Protection" society
in the US is made up mostly of those applying the science -
not researchers.  Radiation workers are another larger
subset that should have a say to how we describe their
exposures.  The description of their exposures should be
clearly understandable and not any more confusing than it is
at present.

Therefore, I as a radiation worker and user of the science,
I elect to continue the use of our old units, which got us
to this point.

High Plains Drifter
magna1@jps.net