Re:Wallac Gamma Counters

At 14:14 08.09.1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone out there heard anything more to substantiate the rumor that
>Wallac is dropping its line of Gamma Counters (Wizard etc.). I was
>considering a purchase until I heard this rumor.
>Regards

I have not heard anything confirming or denying (supposedly wrong English
form...) these rumours. It has been many years ago, that representatives of
a competitor of Wallac has spread rumours that Wallac was close to
bankrupt, that the company would stop producing, that the company was for
sale, that the competitor would buy Wallac and close it. These rumours were
spread especially in the course of a bid for a large number of liquid
scintillation counters for a big Austrian hospital. The rumours were put
forward as facts and the argument of the competitor was, that the hospital
should not buy these instruments, because they soon would not not be able
to get any spare parts, any support, any service. The hospital bought the
Wallac counters and they still go strong and follow-up models have in the
mean time been developed.

I would not be surprised if similar considerations would be behind the
rumours you have been told. I would recommend to ask the company directly.
Moreover manufacturers usually give a guarantee, for how long a time they
can guarantee supply with spare parts and service, when they are asked.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria