RE: 9999

If I think back 20 years or so ago, I believe that 9999 was commonly a
default for the last line in a program where you could put your "end"
statement.  That way you always knew what the last line of the code would be
while you were developing the code.  I don't recall if 9999 was an arbitrary
number such that you would never envision writing that many lines of code,
or if that was the upper limit for numbering with respect to the limitations
of that program language.  I don't recall the actual number 9999 meaning
something in those older codes such as fortran or basic.

Does that sound about right?  I'm sure somebody out there has a better
memory.  Does anyone remember punch cards?

Glen
glen.vickers@ucm.com