Re: Area Postings for Beta

The definition of "radiation level" in 49 CFR 173.403 is:  "the radiation
dose-equivalent rate expressed in millisievert(s) per  hour or mSv/h
(millirem(s) per hour or mrem/h).  Neutron flux densities may be converted into
radiation levels according to Table 1 ..."  (DOT has gone metric; it's a pain in
the ****, but, fortunately does not affect too many people other than the
shippers and carriers.  The RP Techs report the survey results in traditional
units, and we make the conversions as necessary.)  I take this to include beta
dose rate.  This would generally only apply to the surface dose rate.  It's
especially important when evaluating an exclusive use vehicle for free release,
since there is a fixed contamination limit - see 49 CFR 173.443(c):  "... A
vehicle may not be returned to service until the radiation dose rate at each
accessible surface is 0.005 mSv per hour (0.5 mrem per hour) or less ..."  This
should definitely include any beta component of the dose rate.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com