Re: Asking for opinions -Reply

Be prepared for a situation where the employee, or a member of his family, receives nuclear medicine treatment.  The not too far out scenario is that, while the employee is on vacation or otherwise unreachable, the badge report comes back with an immediately reportable dose.  Do you have a contingency plan for this, or do you (and your management) like seeing your institution's name in the headlines?  (Frank Sinatra once reportedly said:  "Say anything you want about me, just spell my name correctly."  The media will probably spell your name correctly.)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

Robert Denne wrote:

Actually, there is a third option that worked well for us at commercial
plant in one of  my previous lives, and that was to have all employees take
there TLD's home with them.  It was painful for about a month but to the
best of my knowledge is working well.

The background issue is all but eliminated as is the question of whether or
not a worker needs to be monitored when outside the protected area.  The
question there is, what do you consider occupational dose and does it
include time spent in your office outside the protected area?  Taking the
TLD's home made things a lot cleaner.