electronic dosimeters

In my response to Robert Denne's rely regarding electronic dosimeter
and TLD comparisons, I made the following statement:

"Especially when the facility uses the TLD results to set the
electronic dosimeter calibration factors! I have seen this all too
often when performing NVLAP On-Site Assessments. If they don't agree
within 2-5%, I'd be very disappointed, when using this technique."

I did not intend for anyone to come away thinking that I am implying
that the only way a facility can obtain excellent compatibility
between results is to do the above. My statement only means that many
facilities do exactly this, which in the end, gives the facility a
false sense of security. The results may compare favorable, and bot
be way off when it comes to accuracy. I am a firm believer that an
electronic dosimeter can respond excellently when comparing between 2
different dosimeter types, as long as the unit is properly calibrated
to the spectra of interest, and, is worn appropriately in those
areas. The electronic dosimeter is an excellent dosimeter for "dose
control". As far as using the electronic dosimeter for "dose of
record", well, I don't believe the industry is ready for that at this
time, and the reasons for this have been well stated in the past.
When an individual can walk into any radiation environment and
regardless of the types of radiation and mixtures present, and have a
final dose determination within +/- 5% as can be found with a TLD or
film badge (for most spectra), then the electronic dosimeter is
viable as a "dose of record".

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205