Uranyl Nitrate

Tony et al,

RE: your question

"If it is exempt, why can't it be disposed as regular chemical waste?
Why do we always have problems trying to dispose of it?"

As your query suggests, uranyl nitrate is an oxidizer and hence exhibits the
RCRA [Resource Conservation & Recovery Act] hazardous waste characteristic
of ignitability.

Herein begins the fun and debate.  Many folks declare that if you discharge
it to sewer [App. B Table 2 Col. 2 has concentrations], it's "wetted" and
therefore no longer flammable or an oxidizer; I don't buy it.  It seems to
me that you could just add some nitric or HCl acid to your jar of uranyl
nitrate (treatment in container; no part B permit required?), neutralize it
with NaOH or baking soda until the pH was above 2.5 [recall that under RCRA,
it's a corrosive at pH < 2.5], and you'd have (non-oxidizer) uranium salts;
essentially dirt that could then be discharged or whatever.  Others solidify
uranyl nitrate in concrete and send it for burial; seems like a lot of
hassle for no discernible benefit.

Anyway, thanks for bringing it up - I look forward to further insights.

Ben Edwards
Glaxo Wellcome Inc.
bee6783@glaxowellcome.com