RE: TLD-shielding

First, I want to thank all who commented.
It is interesting that I saw much concern about accusing an unnamed party of
falsifying a calculation but no one seemed concerned that someone may have
done it. It is like there is more concern about confronting a false
calculation than there is about performing a false calculation. Maybe that's
part of being 'cops' of radcon.

Many people commented that they couldn't rule on such an issue without
seeing all the facts. I find that particularly interesting in that the only
question posed was whether it is appropriate to assume 16 inches of concrete
shielding when only 1/4 inch of glass is there. Perhaps I should rephrase
the question. Can anybody explain to me how an HP might accidentally or
intentionally insert 16" of concrete into a calculation involving a window?
I am dying to explain this away as an accident or some even remotely
credible excuse. However, our ethics policy says that I am expected to
report unethical behavior and I don't have the liberty to ignore something
that smells to high heaven.

Joe
archerj@wipp.carlsbad.nm.us