Re: Uranium/Thorium Exempt?

BLHamrick@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 09/14/1999 11:29:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> vanpeltw@idt.net writes:
>
> << Regardless of any other licenses a person may have, he/she/it may have
>  generally licensed material and exempt material without placing these
> materials
>  under the "umbrella" of, say, a specific license. >>
>
> I believe there is an alternative theory...which goes like this...
>
> The NRC regulations exempt "persons" from licensing...for certain
> items...Once the "person" (corporation, university, local government agency,
> whatever) is, in fact, licensed for whatever reason, they are no longer a
> "person exempt"...In NRC-land, it is not items which are exempt, but
> persons...
>
> Someone, please jump in and stop me, or not.
>
> Barbara L. Hamrick
> BLHamrick@aol.com

Barbara, and All,

Your alternate theory makes sense, however, if you read the NRC NMSS Licensee
Newsletter of March-April 99 it will tell you that the ONLY obligation of a
specific licensee is to include any dose from the exempt sources for persons
exposed to both exempt and licensed sources.

As I see it, the theory is that a "person" can simultaneously be a specific
licensee and a person who is exempt from licensing for purposes of possessing
license exempt quantities.

If you were intimidated into including them in your specific licnese, you are
probably out of luck.

Regards,
Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP            KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates