Re: Farmers and radiation accidents

Joel Cehn wrote:

> The Virginia Dept. of Emergency Services has a web page on radiation
> safety, directed towards farmers:
>
> > http://www.vdes.state.va.us/radfarm.htm
>
> I know this is well intended, but I'm not sure about the section on,
> "Limited Space in Fallout Shelters for Animals."  (FYI, a cow requires
> 20 sq. ft. of space.)

Dear Joel,
We studied that problem once, a long time ago.  The problem is
not so much the space for the bodies, or providing feed and water.
The big problem arises from the body heat and the humidity of the
air.  It will become increasingly difficult to maintain a "liveable"
environment as time goes by.  The same goes of course for fallout
shelters for humans.  In sum, it is the byproducts of human and
animal metabolisms that lead to severe problems.  The result of
most realistic scenarios is that some persons will have to expose
themselves in order to maintain survivability.
Best regards

Fritz
--

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.