RE: DCGL Values and ALARA

Johannes,

1)  Tables of DCGL values corresponding to 15 mrem/y TEDE were initially
published in NUREG-1500 (DRAFT 8/94).

2)  In 2/98, an early draft of NUREG-1549 was released with DCGL tables
that corresponded to 25 mrem/y TEDE, and were reportedly more accurate than
the NUREG-1500 tables with respect to dose conversion.

3)  The latest draft of NUREG-1549 (7/98) does not contain any DCGL tables
whatsoever.  Caveat: This was more likely by desigh rather than by accident.

I have all three of the NUREGs listed above if you want copies.

We've recently completed a decommissioning project where we actually
implemented the RG 1.86 limits using a MARSSIM approach.  The subjects of
evaluating DCGLs/TEDE and performining an ALARA analysis based on having
met the RG 1.86 criteria are quite extensive.  I'd like to discuss the
issues you presented on RADSAFE; however, my experience dictates that the
discussion is too broad for an e-mail response.

Please contact me if you are interested in discussing your issues in
greater detail.

Reg's,

Shane Brightwell
Senior Staff Engineer