Re: Food poisoning

One of the classes I had to take for my degree was Environmental
Eppidemiology. In this class we studied food born diseases. If I remember
correctly, there are two types of "disease" you can get from food. One is
eating the bacteria in which they infect you themselves. That being, did not
cook the food. Examples would be Salmonella, E. Coli, ect. But the most
about this stuff that bothered me was Cholstridium Botulitis. I am not sure
if I am spelling this correctly, but I remember this being one of the worst
types of "food poising". This is the one that lives in a low pH environment,
usually associated with canning of vegetables. You cannot smell it, nor
taste it. It will cause death by attacking your nervous system.  I remember
reviewing a case of a young boy that ate some tomatoes his grandmother made
from stuff she canned. He was dead at the end of the day.

Just wondering if I am correct about this. I can see what you mean about
irradiating would not help, because you cannot irradiate food yourself.
Also, the toxins are released when the can is sealed up, and cooking the
stuff as said earlier does not harm the toxins, but does kill the organism
that makes it.

Just my two cents worth.

Nathan Pell
Health Physicist,