Re: Peak shift in NaI spectrum of an Oxford Instrument MCA

If you are using a scintillator detector such as sodium iodide, you should
check the resistor chain of the voltage divider in the photomultiplier base.
A deteriorated component or solder joint can result in such an intermittant
effect.
Any variation in the output of the high voltage supply to the photomultiplier
will also displace the spectrum as a gain shift.

Of course check for line voltage (mains) fluctuations if you do not have a
good
line conditioner or voltage regulator, or if the unit could be failing.

A pulser may be used to check the stability of the amplifier and ADC
(PCA3).  If
you are using an external preamp with a test input, use the pulser to check
this
component as well.  The preamp power inputs should be checked (along with
NIM bin
voltages if used).

Bob Hearn
rah@america.net