Re: Request for info on X-Ray exposure

  Thanks for your response. A few more details -
    Yes it's an industrial system - it's a thickness gauge for plastic and
paper sheet. I did not use any meter for measurement. I calculated the
dose from the data graphs given in the Handbook of Radiological
Protection. This is a UK publication but the information was taken from
Glaser,H Physical Foundations of Radiology. Hoeber,NY 1954. Intuitively I
expected the dose rate from such a tube to be high, this is why I was
surprised by the dose the TLD gave me. As you comment, the use of an ion
chamber meter is fraught with problems particularly in assessing the low
energies that will be present with only a Beryllium window - that's why I
thought a TLD would be the best line of approach.

                            David Hornsey
 * David J. Hornsey, Radiation Safety.*
 * South Building,                    *
 * University of Bath                 *