Ra226/K40

While reviewing some soil sample data I noticed a consistent ratio between
Radium 226 and K 40 of 0.04.  Our background data showed a similar ratio;
0.5.  I have looked through my old text books but have not found a
consistent ratio nor can I find a reasonable explanation as to why such a
ratio exists.  Can anyone explain this ratio?  Is this ratio true for all
locations or just this location?

James H. Reese
Health Physicist
(916) 689-2680 tel.