Re: Radon class demo

	Radon and its progeny are distinguished from background by being
mainly alpha emitters. Coat an aluminum foil with fluorescent material
(the type used on screens of TV tubes, cheaply available in pound
quantities) by making a slurry with rubber cement, spreading it on the
foil, and letting it dry. Place it on the face of a photomultiplier
connected to a scintillation electronics system (e.g. unplug the
photomultiplier of a scintillation detector and plug in this
photomultiplier). Your aluminum foil must be thin enough to pass the
alphas. The fluorescent material should be against the photomultiplier
window. Set the discriminator to accept large pulses or feed them into an
MCA, and you will get plenty of signal from radon. By measuring the air
flow (e.g. measuring the time it takes to displace the water in a 1
liter bottle inverted in a water bath), you can determine quantitatively
the concentration of radon progeny in the air ("working level")
	If this sounds complicated, it is not. Anyone could do this in an
hour or less.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh