Re: some details on the criticality in Japan

The explosion does not sound like a "low-yield burst", but more like a
standard industrial tank explosion.  It is more likely caused by a good old
fashion vessel over-pressure caused by gases liberated by heat of the
reaction.  I would think that the heated Uranyl Nitrate or steam is the
culprit.  I believe the explosion at Chernobyl was caused by steam/H2.  As
you mention, the material seems to still be in the tank fissioning, this
would suggest that the source of the explosion was in the void space in the
tank above the material and not within the body of the material itself.  I
think that if the blast originated within the material itself, then the
material would indeed be just about everywhere except for the bottom of the
tank.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com