Japan Accident and Decision, Safety Culture, Lessons Learned

I would like to point out a special remark on this accident, from the press:

 "Japanese Prime Minister Keizo
                           Obuchi criticised the response to the
                           accident, saying it had taken too long
                           for experts to assess the seriousness
                           of the situation"

                           He also held an emergency meeting
             of the cabinet which set up a special task force - the first
             time it has taken such a measure after a nuclear
             accident.
=============
Managing emergency, we known, at least  we should, that  one of the basic
fundamental, during an accident is direction and control:

Decisions are to be based on correct technical assessment and to be properly
co-ordinated and implemented in a timely manner.

In this Japan accident,  not only the technical workers'  errors should be
the basis of analysis  to avoid recurrence. As we can read,  the  words  of
the Japanese Prime Minister, based on the attitude of the experts to assess
the seriousness of the situation need to have the highest consideration.
How can professional with large experience make such kind of error? -- too
long to assess the seriousness of the situation? -- Specially in Japan,
country of culture and respect and with recent cases of major nuclear accident?
It is important to keep in mind that the applicability and  value of a good
practice are not only dependent on the specific underlying culture of the
organization and country concerned, but also the degree of a strong analysis
on lessons learned. We can't close the pages of the last nuclear and
radiological accidents, with significant failure in good practice, starting
from TMI for nuclear and Juarez and Goiania for radiological accident. We
did not learn all its technical, political,  social, medical and
psychological consequences.

J. J. Rozental
former Director Nuclear Installation and Material,
Brazilian National Commission of Nuclear Energy, retired
General Coordinator in Goiania During the Radiological Accident
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
jjrozental