Clinton vowed to veto Yucca Mountain

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Mindful of nuclear fears raised by  this week's
accident in Japan, President Clinton vowed Friday to  veto a Senate bill
regarding the possible disposal of nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain in
Nevada.

"Yesterday's nuclear accident in Japan is a tragic reminder  that we must do
everything in our power to ensure safe,  responsible handling of radioactive
materials," Clinton said in  a statement issued in Las Vegas, about 100
miles from the Yucca  Mountain site.

He said the bill in its current form did not adequately protect public
health and safety, but praised the measure for  requiring a thorough
scientific analysis of the site before any  interim storage of nuclear
waste.

But Clinton said the bill would take away the authority of the Environmental
Protection Agency to protect health and  safety.

In Japan's worst-ever nuclear accident, 55 people, mainly plant workers and
emergency personnel, were exposed to radiation  at the Tokaimura uranium
processing plant Thursday. Three were  in serious condition.