Lead bricks and concrete blocks available

The University of Virginia Nuclear Reactor Facility is undergoing the
initial phases of decommissioning.  As part of the preparation for the
final decommissioning work the University is planning to dispose of
surplus material and equipment at the reactor.  Among the items to be
disposed of are a large number of lead bricks and high density concrete
blocks.  These items MAY be available to interested organizations, if they
are willing to come and get them.  The University MAY wish to recover at
least the scrap value of the lead (currently about $0.08 per pound, or
about $2.00 per brick).  These items will be surveyed before release to
assure that they are not contaminated.

The items we have are:

   About 1000, 8"x4"x2" lead bricks, about half of which are commercially
made extruded bricks and the other half are bricks that we made on site by
melting scrap lead and pouring it into molds.

   About 1000, high density concrete blocks in two sizes.
Large size is 15.75" x 7.675" x 7.675", 75 lbs and the
small size is 15.75" x 7.675" x 5.675", 50 lbs.

If you have any interest in these items, please contact me directly, not
by replying to the newgroup.

Paul Benneche, UVA Reactor Supervisor
peb@virginia.edu (e-mail)
804-982-5440 (phone)