Re: Survey plans for release of equipment?

I would be reluctant to approve any type of "statistically based"
survey plan that would approve of release for unrestricted use based
on swipes/smears.  There are too many variables to consider, is the
item simple or complex? Can you direct survey?  Has it been exposed
to loose surface contamination?  What is the history of the item?  I
would think that all of the variables would make it almost impossible
to consider releasing an item on the basis of swipe/smear alone.
> Date:          Tue, 5 Oct 1999 08:23:33 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          salderson_it@nv.doe.gov
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Survey plans for release of equipment?

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01BF0F34.2523974E
>
> Radsafers,
>
> I am looking for statistically based survey plans that will determine the
> number of swipes needed to allow unrestricted release of materials and
> equipment from controlled areas.   Recently new requirements have been
> placed on the release of materials and equipment at the job site and now
> require surveys conducted in accordance with an "approved statistically
> based survey plan."   Radsafers, I would rather not like to reinvent the
> wheel,  if other sites are conducting surveys based on statistical plans I
> would like to get a copy if possible.
>
> Stacey L. Alderson
> IT Corporation
> P.O. Box 93838
> M/S 439
> Las Vegas, NV 89193-3838
> salderson_it@nv.doe.gov
> Phone: (702) 295-2033
> Fax: (702) 295-23025
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01BF0F34.2523974E
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3DUS-ASCII">
> <META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
> 5.5.2448.0">
> <TITLE>Survey plans for release of equipment?</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Radsafers,</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am looking for statistically based =
> survey plans that will determine the number of swipes needed to allow =
> unrestricted release of materials and equipment from controlled =
> areas.&nbsp;&nbsp; Recently new requirements have been placed on the =
> release of materials and equipment at the job site and now require =
> surveys conducted in accordance with an &quot;approved statistically =
> based survey plan.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp; Radsafers, I would rather not like =
> to reinvent the wheel,&nbsp; if other sites are conducting surveys =
> based on statistical plans I would like to get a copy if =
> possible.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Stacey L. Alderson</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">IT Corporation</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">P.O. Box 93838 </FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">M/S 439</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Las Vegas, NV 89193-3838</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">salderson_it@nv.doe.gov</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Phone: (702) 295-2033</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Fax: (702) 295-23025</FONT>
> </P>
>
> </BODY>
> [...]
Scott D. Flowerday
Emergency Response and Investigation Branch
Bureau of Radiation Control
(512) 834-6688