RE: HYDRAZINE

> Jacques.Read@eh.doe.gov[SMTP:Jacques.Read@eh.doe.gov] wrote on Tuesday,
> October 05, 1999 1:56 PM
>
> Hydrazine isn't really corrosive, and it decomposes in air to form
> nitrogen gas
> and water, so I can't see it as much of a polution problem either.
<snip>
<><><><><><><>

The current upper limit on hydrazine concentration in the air is 0.01 ppm.
Handling of open containers of even 35% N2H2 (commercial grade) solutions
leads to concentrations hundreds of times in excess of this limit, and
requires personnel to be fully dressed in protective rubber suits &
respirators. Its a "suspected carcinogen."

Also, N2H2 has been used in the past as a "monopropellant" in rockets,
similar to hydrogen peroxide, but is much more toxic...
See also http://www.rocketry.com/mwade/props/hydazine.htm

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca