Re: HYDRAZINE

The following is cut from the MSDS for aqueous hydrazine.  Seems a little
more than innocuous.

NFPA RATINGS (SCALE 0-4):  HEALTH=4  FIRE=2  REACTIVITY=2

EC CLASSIFICATION (CALCULATED): Not determined.

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW:
COLOR: colorless
PHYSICAL FORM: fuming liquid
ODOR: ammonia odor
MAJOR HEALTH HAZARDS: potentially fatal if inhaled or on contact with the
  skin, harmful if swallowed, respiratory tract burns, skin burns, eye burns,
  mucous membrane burns, convulsions, central nervous system depression,
  allergic reactions, suspect cancer hazard (in animals)
PHYSICAL HAZARDS: Flash back hazard. Extremely flammable. May ignite
  spontaneously on exposure to air.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS:
INHALATION:
  SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: burns, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty
  breathing, symptoms of drunkenness, lung congestion, blood disorders,
  convulsions, coma, death
  LONG TERM EXPOSURE: stomach pain, lung damage, kidney damage, liver damage,
  cancer
SKIN CONTACT:
  SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: same as effects reported in short term inhalation,
  allergic reactions, burns, itching, symptoms of drunkenness, convulsions,
  death
  LONG TERM EXPOSURE: same as effects reported in other routes of exposure,
  blisters, kidney damage, liver damage
EYE CONTACT:
  SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: burns, itching, tearing, blindness
  LONG TERM EXPOSURE: same as effects reported in short term exposure
INGESTION:
  SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: same as effects reported in short term inhalation,
  burns, vomiting, symptoms of drunkenness, visual disturbances, convulsions
  LONG TERM EXPOSURE: kidney damage, liver damage, cancer

>Hydrazine isn't really corrosive, and it decomposes in air to form
>nitrogen gas
>and water, so I can't see it as much of a polution problem either.  It's
>used in
>nucelar power plants to remove dissolved oxygen from feedwater, to prevent
>corrosion from occurring.  Dissolved oxygen (from contact with air) makes
>hydroxyl radicals when irradiated, and the hydrazine suppresses this.  Its
>formula is (NH2)2 - two amine groups linked.  It has also been used, by
>combining in the engine with fuming nitric acide, as rocket fuel.
>
>jacques.read@eh.doe.gov

| | | |__  Physics Safety Support Officer
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow