RE: Here We Go Again.....

> How about the concept of removing workers from respirators so they can work
> faster.  Workers are being forced to receive internal contaminations...  The
> workers don't want to take it home to their families, but the "man" says
> that dose is dose...

Glenn,

We're all familiar with this particular issue in the Jan.1 revised
10CFR20. More often than not, it was the HP population that was most
upset with the change. However, if one truly believes in effective
dose equivalent, and what the actual effective dose to the various
organs is, evaluating TEDE ALARA makes logical sense. What is the
overall risk from both external and internal. The old Part 20 didn't
address this very well, and I don't believe was validation of the
true dose to a workers organs. If the review is done correctly, and
there is some internal uptake, but the evaluated effective dose is
less than one would receive from external dose while wearing the
respirator, it makes sense to get the job done without the
respirator, in less time with less overall dose. This makes perfect
sense to me, and has generally been accepted by almost all workers I
deal with. This appears to be anon-issue, and eliminates a burdensome
program (respiratory protection).

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205