Re: Individual monitoring device question.

> When only one individual monitoring device is used to determine the
> effective dose equivalent for external radiation, where is the most
> appropriate place to were it? Wear it at neck outside of the protective
> apron, or wear it under the protective apron at the waist?

Depends on the geometry of the irradiation. Generally the chest area
is appropriate for most applications. However, if the dose is from
above, or the head area is in the primary area, the dosimeter should
be worn on the collar. As far as being worn under or over an apron,
if there is a single dosimeter worn, I prefer to have it outside the
area (especially when there is a uniform geometry) since there are
other araes on the whole body that are irradiated, but are not
shielded. I think I would rather address shielding when a dosimeter
response is high, than to constantly have a dosimeter that reports
below Minimum Reportable Dose, leaving the facility without any
information whatsoever. Ideally, if the situation is such where dose
weighting is allowed, as in interventional procedures, a dosimeter
worn under the apron (chest area) and a dosimeter worn on the collar
(outside the protective lead) is recommended. This allows for a
reporting of EDE. Again, this is not permitted by NRC licensees, and
not by all state regulatory agencies.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205