RE: Units for Criticality Accident

Bruce,

I absolutely agree with you.  However, I still have not seen any data on
how the workers dose was determined.  I doubt that personal nuclear
accident dosimetry was worn as a criticality accident was determined to
be a "non-credible" event.  The workers dosimetry may have been read
but, was a suitable algorithm available, based on the neutron energies
of this "non-credible" event.  I assumed that the doctors are basing the
dose estimate on the physical state of their patients (i.e. blood
chemistry).  The doctors may have done the same as I did on Thursday,
referenced a chart based on onset of symptoms.

I'm not an expert, could the doctors use the sodium activation in the
patients blood, corrected for decay, to determine the neutron flux and
thus determine neutron dose?

I'm just glad that I'm getting some information, I would imagine that
the stress level is pretty high over there right now.  The final report
should get the numbers and units correct.

David Hyder
David_S_Hyder@rl.gov
Health Physicist
Hanford Facility Evaluation Board