Re: A Comment on assigned dose

Sandy and Group,

I have had good responses from Agreement States regarding licensed
procedures for the use of multiple dosimeters and dose weighting.  Also
from state agencies for administrative approval of same for x-ray
monitoring.  For me, the ANSI standard is superior to the Webster method.
The concept of weighting doses where there is large discrepancies in the
radiation fields over the body is of great help, as several have noted.

Bob

At 01:20 PM 10/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter is correct in that the NRC does not currently permit dose
>weighting at this time. 10 CFR 20 does provide for organ dose
>weighting, but get around the whole body by stating the factor is
>1.0. The NRC is considering a dose weighting capability. The NRC
>sponsored a Workshop August 13, 1997, Atlanta Georgia, coordinated by
>EPRI, and a document entitled EPRI's New Approach to Determining
>Effective Dose Equivalent, was published. Dan Reese is heavily
>involved in this effort. I do not know the current status of NRC's
>evaluation that would permit dose weighting to be used, and for what
>specific applications.
>
>By the way, many states do not permit dose weighting, some allow it
>for certain individuals, and some allow it for only specific
>functions.
>
>Sandy Perle
>E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
>Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205
>
>"The object of opening the mind, as of opening
>the mouth, is to close it again on something solid"
>              - G. K. Chesterton -

Bob Wilson, Director
Radiation Safety Office
University of Kentucky