Re: Individual monitoring device question.

Laurie,

In a response on this subject earlier this week, I failed to adequately
make a point.  That is, the regulations have procedures for exceptions.  It
has been my experience that a clear, reasonable, well documented case made
for release from specific regulatory points will often result in a
case-by-case exception for the petitioner.  Examples from the past include;
badge wearing protocols, SFD periods, de minimus levels, ash disposals from
incinerators, site release criteria, etc., etc.

It may not work for every agency, but if you haven't tried, I urge to give
it a whirl.

Bob

At 10:17 AM 10/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:14 AM 10/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>> When only one individual monitoring device is used to determine the
>>> effective dose equivalent for external radiation, where is the most
>>> appropriate place to were it? Wear it at neck outside of the protective
>>> apron, or wear it under the protective apron at the waist?
>
>You may want to review your state's regulations regarding safety
>requirements for the use of radiation machines.  In the state of Iowa our
>regs read as follows regarding the wearing of dosimeters intended to assess
>occupational exposure in conjunction with personnel exposure during
>diagnostic radiology procedures ... "when protective clothing or devices
>are worn on portions of the body and a personnel monitoring device(s) is
>present, it (they) shall be worn in accordance with the recommendations
>found in Chapter 4 of the National Council of Radiation Protection and
>Measurements Report No. 57."
>
>If you would like to converse further about this you may contact me at
>319/335/8532 or e-mail me.
>
>Laurie Taylor
>The University of Iowa
>Health Protection Office