Coal Burning Power Plant

I read (with interest) a half page article in a local newspaper describing how the
Mojave Generating Station (1,580 MW) will be the cleanest coal burning power plant
in the Southwest. The plant will spend $300 million through 2006 to install
pollution control devices. This was the result of a lawsuit filed by the Sierra Club
and the Grand Canyon Trust (it appears an out of court settlement is in progress).
It appears that all the parties involved are happy.

The only pollutants discussed were sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and soot. I
couldn't help thinking of other pollutants such as 22 million tons of carbon dioxide
(assuming 70% carbon in coal), 7.8 tons of U, 19.2 tons of Th, numerous daughters of
U and Th, use of fly ash from coal burning in building materials and more.

I wondered if these were not considered pollutants or if nothing can be done about
them (and may not be effected by these pollution control devices) and, therefore,
they are not negotiable and unworthy of any mention. Most of all, I wonder if public
(or environmental groups) would reevaluate their positions if the unnamed pollutants
were also included in the article (if the entire picture is shown instead of partial
one).

Have a good weekend. M. Jo
Myung Chul Jo, MS, CHP
EH&S, Mail Stop 328