Re: Sr-90

Waleed

You don't specify what type of Sr-90 source it is that you need. However,
since you are a therapeutic radiological physicist, I shall assume that you
are looking for an eye applicator. They can frequently be had freely
(excepting only the shipping costs) from the NRC, and Agreement States, the
inspectors of which have taken custody of them, as sources orphanned by
(e.g.) the retirement of a ophthalmologist. The only drawback to following
this avenue, is that the applicators are often quite old (20 - 30 y). They
may also be without paperwork. I'd think that the latter would not be the
problem it used to be, now that the ADCL in Madison can calibrate them.

So, I recommend that you ring up (or email!!) the Illinois DNS, or your
regional NRC office, and solicit guidance from them. Also, I shall forward
your note to the Radsafe list. It's perhaps even a better place to ask such
a question than Medphys, given the large number of regulatory folks that is
on it.

If, though, you're seeking a new applicator, or some other kind of Sr
source, try:

Isotope Products Laboratories
Burbank, CA
818-843-7000
or
Amersham Pharmacia
Arlington Heights, IL
800-526-3593
or
JL Shepherd & Associates (please remember me to Mary)
San Fernando, CA
800-962-9959

Salud
cja