Re: Media Response - Take initiative (or - total apathy)

This is a situation whereby many within our ranks state that we
need to inform the public about radiation in general, radioactive
waste, decommissioning, power generation, global warming,
incidents around the world and our environment specifically. Yet
when there are opportunities to do just that, nobody wants to
participate. Case in point, this past Thursday evening through
Saturday, the California Science Teachers Association workshop
was held at the Long Beach Convention center. There were
probably a thousand or so science teachers there from all over the
state. Our local chapter of HPS could not get any chapter
participation, no matter how we tried. Except for 4 of us, there
would have been no participation from a chapter that has over 200
members. I am not even considering ANS, AAPM or any other
societies that certainly can participate with these teachers. We all
say that education is a key. If we're going to educate children
(where it needs to begin) we need to educate the teachers.

So when I hear all of the rhetoric about how we need to
communicate better, to get our story out .. I have to sit back and
say -- who do you want to do it? The other person? Because there
certainly isn't anyone rushing out the door to assist when called
upon. There is no initiate to take. First, we must eliminate the
apathy.