Suggestions to help NRC Communicate with us

I would like you assistance in representing our information needs and interests to the NRC Commissioners at a November 9 meeting.  I have been asked to speak for academic and medical institutions.  The NRC is looking at how it can improve its interactions with stakeholders on nuclear materials and waste issues and has requested suggestions.  The NRC wants to focus on improving communication with us as stakeholders and getting our comments on activities such as proposed and final rules, developing standard review plans, regulatory guides and NUREGs.

This meeting is designed to improve the NRC’s process and is not intended to address technical issues.  They have specifically asked for suggestions in the following areas:
1.      10 CFR Part 33  Specific Domestic Licensees of Broad Scope for Byproduct Material
2.      Source Control
3.      10 CFR Part 70  Domestic Licensing of Special Nuclear Material
4.      High Level Waste
5.      Decommissioning and dry cask storage issues
6.      10 CFR Part 40  Domestic Licensing of Source Material

If you have suggestions or concerns please let me know.  I plan to consolidate the information into a formal presentation and if necessary provide a supplemental document with more detailed suggestions and examples but will not specifically identify the source.

Please contact me directly either by email (
joseph_ring@Harvard.edu)  or phone.

Joseph P. Ring, Ph.D. CHP
Harvard University
46 Oxford Street