Y2K and Nuclear Reactors -- How Do You Feel About Glowing inthe Dark? -Reply

Sandy,

Our answering Mr. Hobbs concerns won't do much good since the
discussions in the anti-nuke crowd have moved past the issues
below and are now focusing on the nuke weapon de-alerting and
NPP shutdown issues under the auspices of WASH (World Atomic
Safety Holiday).

The US and Russia are addressing the "nuke attack false alarm"
issues with the formation of a joint Y2K information center.  Beyond
that, I don't believe anything else is being done on the weapon side.

As for NPPs, we need to hit hard on the foolishness of shutting
down NPPs for WASH.  It's been many years since I worked in the
NPP world, but I do believe the LOOP (loss-of-offsite-power) event is
what the anti's are keying on.

So what really needs to be answered is:

1.  Does a LOOP event require the reactor to be scrammed or can
the NPP continue to produce it's own power?  (this is probably one
of those "stupid" questions -- I told you it's been a while)

2.  Wouldn't putting an NPP into standby mode place it a higher risk
for a LOOP event since it would then have to rely on diesel
generators for power?

Please help me out with these questions.  I would like to post the
debunk their myth.

Thanks in advance,
My own personal/non-corporate thoughts,
v/r
Michael
mford@pantex.com
TX Radiation Advisory Board

>>> "Sandy Perle" wrote on Thu 14 Oct 99  17:44 >>>
I have been asked to post thye following internet article to prompt a
formal response(s). The author is apparently an expert since he was
an air traffic controller, and fought in Vietnam::

Y2K and Nuclear Reactors -- How Do You Feel About Glowing in the
Dark? Greg Hobbs October 14, 1999

I came across some information recently that scared the hell out of
me, so I thought I would share it with you ...