Re: OMINOUS EVIDENCE

This is a good illustration of why we need in the US a single agency to
regulate all forms of radiation and radioactive material.  We had problems in
uranium mines because neither the AEC, PHS or the states would take the
responsibility for regulating radiation exposures in uranium (or any other)
mines.  We have radium problems because the NRC doesn't regulate naturally
occurring radioactive material.  We have NORM and TENORM problems for the same
reason.  No one regulates "background" so the airlines have problems with
aircrew exposures.  Etc., etc.  Would it be appropriate for the HPS and ANS to
suggest to Congress that all radiation and radioactive material be regulated by
a single federal agency, with agreement state possibilities?  Does anyone know
if the IAEA charter permits it to regulate all forms of radiation and
radioactive material, including natural?  Is there any country in the world
that has a system that does that?  The California radiation control regulations
regulate all sources of radiation - defined so as to include x-rays,
radioactive material, but not natural background.  I don't know what those
regulations say about NORM and TENORM.  Sandy, do you?  Such regulations seem
to be a start for one state in the US at least.  Al Tschaeche
antatnsu@pacbell.net

David Whitfill/Kdhe wrote:

> How about the aircraft industry and radium dial stripping operations? I was
> fortunate enough to be in on a preliminary investigation on an illegal dial
> stripping operation-nothing like finding a shop vac reading 20 mR/h and ice
> cube trays in the refrigerator indicating several thousand dpm alpha. We
> won't even talk about the solvent materials in the dumpster...

begin:          vcard
fn:             Al Tschaeche
n:              Tschaeche;Al
org:            Nuclear Standards Unlimited
email;internet: antatnsu@postoffice.pacbell.net
title:          CEO
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE