Re: RADSAFE digest 2723

To all,

Yesterday I received a phone call from an RSO who was informed by the manufacturer of their radiation monitoring instrument that it was impossible to calibrate a GM tube to give the efficiencies for particular isotopes (C-14, P-32, Pu-238, etc). This was an industry wide used GM tube with a pancake probe (Model 44-x).

I feel that either the vendor misspoke, or the RSO miscommunicated, since we routinely do this at the Reed Reactor Facility.

Is there something I am missing, or is this just a communications breakdown?

Stephen Frantz
Reed College Reactor
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97202